This lesson plan is designed for students in 5th-8th grade. It includes two sections that can each stand alone or be combined into one larger lesson. All information and activities are available as separate PDF copies.
Students will gain an awareness of the evolution of snack food packaging and its environmental impact.
Section 1: From Barrel to Box
- Discover the histories of packaging strategies for three different snacks
- Learn about the reasons that these materials developed as they did
Section 2: When Snack Time is Over…
- Explore disposal options for different types of snack food packaging
- Consider and evaluate the environmental implications (positive and negative) of various disposal methods
STEM Standards-Math (Common Core State Standards Initiative)
- MATH.CONTENT.5.MDA.1 (Measurement & Data)
- MATH.CONTENT.6.RPA.3 (Ratios & Proportional Relationships)
- MATH.CONTENT.7.RPA.1 (Ratios and Proportional Relationships)
STEM Standards-Science (Next Generation Science Standards)
- MS-LS2 Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
- MS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity